Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
Posted on August 10, 2012
The fall season offers many great reasons to travel to Windjammer Landing, low rates on accommodations and all-inclusive, hot weather, and lots of space at the beach and pools all add to the already irresistible allure of Saint Lucia. However, there is one factor that can intimidate travelers from taking advantage of these seasonal opportunities, the unpredictable threat of hurricane season. Although the risk of a hurricane actually occurring during your vacation is very small, taking the following steps can help you ensure that you get the most out of your hurricane-season vacation.
The best way to mitigate the risk of losing your travel investment or getting caught in dangerous weather is to understand that there is always a small chance of your vacation coinciding with some less-than-desirable weather, and be prepared for this possibility. The simplest thing you can do is purchase travel insurance and check to insure that hurricanes are covered by your plan. Typically, guests have no problem re-scheduling their vacations around bad weather without additional costs, as airlines and resorts such as Windjammer Landing are just as happy to avoid hurricanes as you are.
Do Your Homework
Or have us do it for you, knowing some basic facts about hurricanes will help you limit your risk even further while still getting great prices. Windjammer offers summer and fall specials throughout the year, so you can be sure to find a great price. But if you want to be sure to avoid hurricanes, just check your calendar! About seventy percent of tropical storms occur between August and October, with September 10 being identified as the worst day of the year, so get a head start on your summer getaway and take a pass on bad weather.
Steal a Deal
For those willing to ignore the slight risks associated with hurricane season, there are fantastic deals everywhere you look. In addition to low rates on accommodations and all-inclusive, most resorts will not be anywhere near capacity throughout the season. This provides risk-averse travelers with all of the freedom and amenities that they could possibly want, including open beaches and pools, no waiting for drinks or dining, and flexibility to customize your vacation to your personal preference. Ignore the label “hurricane season”, and you won’t believe vacations like this are even possible!
In the unlikely event that you are caught in St. Lucia during a hurricane, whether it’s a brush-by (about once every 3.5 years) or a direct hit (every 20 years), you need to know that every possible measure will be taken to ensure your safety. Windjammer Landing was exposed to a direct hit by Hurricane Tomas in 2010, and no staff or guests were hurt during the storm. In addition, the resort is capable of providing its own electricity and drinking water regardless of weather conditions, facilitating a fast return to “business as usual”.
So, don’t let the chance of a tropical storm or hurricane stop you from enjoying a fantastic Caribbean vacation for a great price this year. The risks of actually encountering any troublesome weather during your stay are incredibly low, and the vast majority of storms can be detected days or weeks in advance. In the unlikely event that a storm does coincide with your vacation, there are always alternatives such as re-scheduling or re-locating your summer getaway with little to no financial risk.
- Jazz On the Beach 2016
- Jazz On the Beach 2016
- Windjammer Landing named best "Ceremony and Reception Venue"
- Spotted in ACTIVE TRAVELS: St. Lucia Week: Hiking Pigeon Island
- Spotted in the VANCOUVER SUN: Six spectacular Caribbean destinations
- Spotted in Recommend: The Buzz in Caribbean Family Travel
- Spotted in HOUSE OF COCO: The Spa at Windjammer Landing
- Spotted in VACATIONS MAGAZINE: 7 Easy-To-Budget Beach Retreats
- Spotted in RESIDENT MAGAZINE: Family Escape, Romantic Rendezvous
- Spotted in RECOMMEND: Caribbean Week 2015
- Spotted in USA TODAY TRAVEL: Caribbean resorts offer courses for kids
- Spotted in LEISURE TRAVEL GROUP: Families Make the World a Classroom Through Group Travel
- Spotted in: NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC TRAVELLER
- Spotted in DAD INFO: Send Your Kids to School in the Caribbean
- Spotted in KODOMO: Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort
- Spotted in DESTINATIONS OF DISTINCTIONS: All-Inclusive of yesteryear’s…meet the new kid in town
- Spotted in EBONY: What Makes Luxe St. Lucia a Must-See
- Spotted in VACAY.CA: 5 best March Break hotels for families
- Spotted in THE TELEGRAPH: The best Caribbean holidays
- Spotted in CARIBBEAN JOURNAL: New Look at St Lucia’s Windjammer Landing Resort
- Spotted in TRAVEL WEEKLY: St. Lucia Windjammer's villa revamp
- A Royal Babymoon Package: Save 20%
- Recently Engaged? Why not a destination wedding at Windjammer Landing?
- Renovation Update - Constantly striving to provide you the best
- Trying to Reason with Hurricane Season
- Summer in Saint Lucia
- Saint Lucia Honeymoon = Romance, Adventure & Stress Free
- St Lucia Carnival
- Need help planning a destination family reunion?
- Trip Advisor Awards Windjammer Landing
- Summer: The Season to Say I Do
- Every Day is Mother's Day at Windjammer Landing
- St. Lucia Jazz Festival Features "Boo"
- We Won! We Won!
- Windjammer: 2012 Readers Choice Awards
- Windjammer’s Junior Chef Paulyn Eugene Makes the Cut
- Sweep Your Sweetheart Off Their Feet
- Winter Holidays in the Caribbean
- Snowflaks or Snuba?
- Gratitude, Giving Thanks
- And the winner is.....
- November is Island Party Month
- Photo Contest: Month Two
- St. Lucia Halloween