Saint Lucia is a Birding Paradise
Posted on June 19, 2014
(St. Lucia – August 31, 2014) Saint Lucia offers a wide variety of birding experiences. Families, couples and singles alike who want to explore one of the Caribbean’s most untouched islands and enjoy a natural vacation experience will want to consider Windjammer Landing’s new birding package highlighting some of the islands most undiscovered locations. Guests can either book a private tour or tour independently. Below are the top birding sites on island:
• Edmund National Rainforest - The Edmund National Rainforest covers 19,000 acres of lush mountains and valleys. It is home to a large variety of tree ferns, bromeliads, orchids and birds: St. Lucia Parrot, St. Lucia Oriole and St. Lucia Pewee.
• Des Cartier Rainforest Trail - The trail is situated 6 miles inland from Micoud on the main Castries to Vieux Fort road. This is one of the best birding sites in Saint Lucia. Visitors have a good chance of seeing the rare birds, especially the St. Lucia Parrot.
• Millet Bird Sanctuary Trail - Located in the heart of St. Lucia, is the Millet Bird Sanctuary Trail; a heaven of bird life. Over thirty species of birds can be found there, including five endemic species: the St. Lucia Parrot, St. Lucia Black Finch, St. Lucia Oriole, St. Lucia Pewee and St. Lucia Warbler. This trail provides a breath taking view of the Roseau Dam, the largest in the Eastern Caribbean.
• Vieux Fort Wetlands - There are a number of pools and wet areas where a river has been diverted at the western end of Hewanorra International Airport. The area is approximately 6-acres; it attracts several bird species throughout the year. Many species of ducks, herons, sand pipers, plovers, egrets, gallinules, rails and other shorebirds and waterfowl find a temporary place of sojourn at the pond. Many of these species are seasonal migrants.
Once back at the resort guests can enjoy sailing, windsurfing, tennis, kayaking coconut bowling, kite-flying and more. For guests who prefer a relaxed day under the sun the 1,500 sq.-foot of beach is always a top choice or splash about in one of the resort’s six swimming pools. This premium all-inclusive package entitles guest to:
• Unlimited a la carte dining and access to all 5 restaurants
• Unlimited drinks: including top shelf premium alcoholic beverages (3 bars on property)
• Unlimited water sports to include motorized
• Resort wide complimentary WiFi
• Rates are per night and subject to a 10% service charge and 10% VAT.
Additionally, guests are invited to the Tuesday Manager’s cocktail party where limbo contests, fire-eating performers and plenty of dancing make for a memorable evening. The birding package is bookable from July 15 – August 31, 2014 and is priced for two at US $420 per night in an Ocean View Room based on two persons. Book by June 1, 2014 and save an additional 20%. For reservations call toll free 877-522-0722 from Canada or 0808.101.7261 the UK. Visit our website, follow us on Facebook or send a Tweet.
A picturesque hillside, off-the-beaten path resort, Windjammer Landing Villa Resort offers a plethora of activities, and a welcoming vibe. The tranquil waters of Labrelotte Bay, located on the north coast of Saint Lucia, is far removed from the '‘cruise crowds'’ making this 1,000 sq.-ft. porcelain-white beachfront a slice of heaven. A bevy of non-motorized sporting activities, six swimming pools, a beachfront Jacuzzi, five restaurants, three bars, a mini-market, and several boutiques deliver a vibrant energy. More you say? For teens, tots and in-betweens – activities such as beach pizza parties, coconut bowling, water polo, darts, beach-cricket, Caribbean dance classes and island-styled activities: crab races, lizard hunts and sea shell discovery games are all part of the fun. Exhausted yet? No worries, cold towels delivered beachside offer a quick cool down.